TRAINING & CERTIFICATION INFORMATION
The Y offers a variety of opportunities to earn aquatic achievements. To view program availability, dates & times, or to register for any of the following programs, select the button below.
AMERICAN RED CROSS BLENDED LEARNING LIFEGUARD TRAINING
Completion of the online coursework alone does not certify you as a lifeguard. This class requires passing prerequisite water skills on the first day of class. This course is designed to provide participants with the knowledge and skills to be a lifeguard through online training, in-water and classroom skills practice. The online portion of this course is 7 hours in length and MUST be completed prior to the first meeting date. Failure to complete the online portion will prohibit you from continuing in the class. Participants should bring an I.D. to verify age on the first day of class and bring a swimming suit to each scheduled class date. Books are included in the fee. To successfully pass this course, you must pass practical and written exams with a grade of 80% or better. Upon completion of this course, students will receive a 2-year certification that includes American Red Cross Lifeguard, First Aid, and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer.
1. Swim 300 yards continuously using only front crawl and breaststroke, both using correct rhythmic breathing and form.
2. Tread water for 2 minutes, without the use of your hands.
3. Swim 20 yards, surface dive to 9 ft, retrieve a 10 lb. brick, swim brick back to starting point and exit the water without using a ladder or steps in 1 minute 40 seconds.
Participants will be refunded the cost of the class if they do not pass the pre-requisites.
AMERICAN RED CROSS BLENDED LEARNING LIFEGUARD RE-CERTIFICATION TRAINING
A class for those who need to re-certify their Lifeguarding. This class is designed for those who feel comfortable demonstrating their skills with minimal review. In order to successfully pass this course you will need to pass a practical and written test with 80% or better. Certification will include: American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, First Aid, and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer.
- Swim 300 yards continuously using these strokes: 100 yards front crawl using rhythmic breathing, 100 yards breaststroke using correct kick, pull, glide form, 100 yards either front crawl or breaststroke or a combination of the two strokes.
- 2 minutes of treading water without hands.
- Swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive to 9 feet, retrieve a 10 lb. brick, swim 20 yards to starting point with object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps in 1 minute 40 seconds.
Participants should bring their current Lifeguard certification to participate in the class.
AMERICAN RED CROSS BLENDED LEARNING LIFEGUARD INSTRUCTOR TRAINING
For those holding a current Lifeguard certification. Instructs participants to teach basic-level Lifeguard courses through developing their understanding of how to use the course materials, conduct training sessions, and evaluate participants progress. No refunds. Course graduates are encouraged to apply for employment at the Oshkosh YMCA!
AMERICAN RED CROSS BLENDED LEARNING WATER SAFETY INSTRUCTOR TRAINING
Train instructor candidates to teach courses and presentations in the swimming and water safety program by developing their understanding of how to use the course materials, how to conduct training sessions, and how to evaluate participants' progress in parent/child, preschool, learn to swim, and adult aquatic courses.
Demonstrate the ability to perform the following skills:
- Front crawl- 25 yards
- Back crawl- 25 yards
- Breaststroke- 25 yards
- Elementary breaststroke- 25 yards
- Sidestroke- 25 yards
- Butterfly- 15 yards
- Maintain position on back while floating in deep water (floating or sculling)
- Tread water for 1 minute
CPR FOR THE PROFESSIONAL RESCUER
Would you like to know what to do in a cardiac emergency? The right answer could help you save a life. This class offers hands on training, covering cardiac emergencies with the use of an AED, breathing emergencies and first aid. To successfully complete this course, you will need to pass a written exam and in-person skill session with 80% or better. (For course to run, there must be a minimum of 4 participants.)